We are extremely proud to launch our NOMNOM Meals Ready-to-Eat Range which is a nutritious pre-cooked ‘wet’ meal for the outdoor and adventure enthusiast. It is not freeze-dried and all you have to to do is “Heat and Eat”
NOMNOM have a variety of products, we have selected 8 core meals to introduce to the South African market in a standard 200g pack. These are:
- SAVOURY MINCE
- BEEF CURRY AND BUTTER BEANS
- BEEF SAMP & BEANS
- CHICKEN BREYANI
- CHICKEN A LA KING
- CHICKEN CURRY
- BROWN LENTILS, BEAN & VEGETABLE STEW
- VEGETARIAN PASTA
You explore, we nourish!
Alex Harris is an Xtreme outdoor fanatic and world renowned athlete whose interests are as varied as they are unique. He has been climbing mountains for over two decades and has led more than 20 expeditions to some of the furthest corners of the planet. In 1996 Alex resigned from a career in sales and followed his passion for exploration. Within the year he led his first expedition to Mount Everest, and from this early venture he has climbed the seven summits, he has climbed the highest mountains on all seven continents and has led expeditions to both the North and the South side of Mount Everest.
On the 17th of January 2008, Alex became the first African to walk unsupported to the South Pole, a journey that took 65 days and covered almost 1,200km. We can confirm he still has all his toes!
We are privileged to have Alex as one of the Co-Founders of FoodFundies, and his passion for the outdoors and outdoor living brings an unprecedented level of enthusiasm and perfection to our business.
Shelf-stable food (sometimes ambient food) is food of a type that can be safely stored at room temperature in a sealed container such as a pouch. This includes foods that would normally be stored refrigerated but which have been processed so that they can be safely stored at room or ambient temperature for a usefully long shelf life.
Various food preservation and packaging techniques are used to extend a food’s shelf life. Decreasing the amount of available water in a product, increasing its acidity, or irradiating or otherwise sterilizing the food and then sealing it in an air-tight container are all ways of depriving bacteria of suitable conditions in which to thrive. All of these approaches can all extend a food’s shelf life without unacceptably changing its taste or texture.
A retort pouch is constructed from a flexible metal-plastic laminate that is able to withstand the thermal processing used for sterilization. The food is first prepared, either raw or cooked, and then sealed into the retort pouch. The pouch is then heated to 116-121°C (240-250°F) for several minutes under high pressure inside a retort or autoclave machine. The food inside is cooked in a similar way to pressure cooking. This process reliably kills all commonly occurring microorganisms (particularly Clostridium botulinum), preventing it from spoiling.
The packaging process is very similar to canning, except that the package itself is flexible. The lamination structure does not allow permeation of gases from outside into the pouch. The retort pouch construction varies from one application to another, as a liquid product needs different barrier properties than a dry product, and similarly an acidic product needs different chemical resistance than a basic product.
Our NOMNOM Range is one of the easiest products to consume in the Outdoors and our meals can be enjoyed at any time, all you have to do is “Heat and Eat”!
There are various ways in which you can heat your NOMNOM meal, and for the outdoor enthusiast we give some ideas.
Flame-less Ration Heaters are the most popular method of heating MRE’s such as our NOMNOM meal. A key differentiation is that our NOMNOM MREs are “ready to eat” and can be eaten cold, although a hot entree or side dish may be more appealing!
Some methods to heat your NOMNOM meal include:
Using the MRE “Flameless Ration” Chemical Heater (FRH)
- Remove the MRE pouch from the outer cardboard box or any other packaging.
- Follow instructions on the MRE Heater – inquire from you outdoor reseller on how to operate prior to your trip
- Slide the NOMNOM pouch into the plastic sleeve of the Heater.
- Add approximately 1–2 tbsp (1oz) of water (or saltwater activation packet if provided) to the Heater and place the Heater into the cardboard box. Note: The chemical reaction will begin the heating process immediately upon adding the water.
- Place the cardboard box at a 45-degree angle by resting it against a firm vertical surface. Allow the NOMNOM pouch contents to heat for several minutes (3–7 minutes).
- Carefully remove the Heater from the cardboard box, then carefully remove the NOMNOM Pouch. Items will be HOT, handle with utmost care!
- Carefully cut open the NOMNOM pouch and the contents are ready to eat – Heat and Eat!
Heating your NOMNOM meal in Boiling Water
- Fill a saucepan about half way with clean water.
- Heat water on a stove-top or burner, bringing the water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium/medium-high (slow boil).
- Remove the NOMNOM pouch from the outer packaging where applicable, and place the NOMNOM retort pouch into the boiling water.
- Heat the NOMNOM pouch in water at a slow boil for several minutes (5–8 minutes).
- Remove the saucepan from the heating source and carefully pour the water out of the pan to safely remove the NOMNOM pouch. Caution: The NOMNOM Pouch and water will be HOT!
- Carefully cut open the NOMNOM pouch and the contents are ready to eat!
Heating your NOMNOM meal in a Saucepan
- Remove the NOMNOM pouch from the outer cardboard box where applicable
- Cut open the NOMNOM pouch and empty contents in a saucepan.
- Heat contents at “Medium to Medium-high” temperature for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heating source, transfer contents to a clean dish, and eat! Caution: Saucepan and contents will be HOT!
Using a Microwave to Heat your NOMNOM meal (CAUTION!)
- Remove the NOMNOM pouch from the cardboard box where applicable
- Cut open NOMNOM pouch and place contents in a clean microwave-safe bowl or plate. (Do not place the NOMNOM retort pouch in a microwave!)
- Cover with paper towel.
- Microwave on high for a couple of minutes (2–3 minutes).
- Carefully remove from microwave (caution: contents will be hot!) and your NOMNOM is ready to eat!
Heating your NOMNOM in the Oven
- Remove the NOMNOM pouch from the cardboard box.
- Cut open NOMNOM pouch and place contents in a clean oven-safe dish. (Do not place the NOMNOM retort pouch in an oven!)
- Heat in a 350° oven for approximately 7–10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven (caution: contents will be hot!) and your NOMNOM is ready to eat!
Other Alternatively-used NOMNOM Heating Methods
- Remove the NOMNOM pouch from the cardboard box.
- Hold the NOMNOM pouch next to your warm body
- Place the NOMNOM pouch on your vehicle’s warm engine manifold
* The NOMNOM heating methods listed are for general reference only. Heating times indicated may vary and may need to be adjusted for best results. Use caution when heating NOMNOM meals.